James Wymer. 18. Doncaster, England. U2, R.E.M, Green Day, Fall Out Boy are my favourite bands. I love The Simpsons, Family Guy, Married With Children, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and have a sneaky guilty pleasures in Coronation Street and Digimon (specifically Tamers). I reblog things on occassion that probably makes me seem as though I'm against social justice. I'm not. If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you no matter your sexuality, gender identity or race. I just don't like the way some people on this website generalise straight white men, and I'm not here for that shit.
The bomb is dropped
The kittens sort of soften the blow.
this is the shittiest post ever. please unfollow me if you agree with this post also shame on OP for using cute kittens for this garbage post
not sure what it is exactly that makes this post so shitty? Because it’s promoting actual equality? instead of saying that you can call everyone else shit because you are part of an oppressed party you can say you are equal to them doesn’t exactly sound like a shitty idea to me.
BOOM. So many people on this website need to read this twice, let it sink in and then read it again.
This is so one-sided and narrow visioned, it borders on being hilarious.
- Let’s tackle gif one…the magazines, um so do the video makers not think men see magazines and wish they had the bodies of the guys on them? Because let me assure you, this DOES happen. Men may not protest or complain about it as vocally as women do, but it does sit in their minds and they do dwell on their “imperfect” physical prowesses. If they didn’t, would you really see so many guys hitting up the gym or casually mentioning how they want to get a six-pack? Buff muscle bound actors, musicians, model men are plastered across all sorts of women’s and men’s magazines. Men get to see the burly adonis-like physiques of people like Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt (well…back in the day), David Beckham, Zac Efron, Bradley Cooper, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, etc, front and center on the magazine aisles right next to the women who are shown just the same.
The only reason men are less vocal in this insecurity is they are taught not to complain, that complaining will do nothing, so they have to either just give up and distress about it or hit the gym constantly, or….learn to be okay and happy with the bodies they have, but I can assure you, even if it isn’t vocally expressed, the third option is not the norm, sadly.
- Gif two…Superhero movies are predominantly male power centered, I get that so I concede that much. But the TV shows, reverse versions of King of Queens, Family Guy, Still Standing, shows where an overweight man has somehow scored a relatively bombshell fit/thin wife. But the problem the video makers intentionally fail to mention is that in those shows, the men suffer from being made to look utterly and appallingly idiotic. These men may have scored a hot wife, but not only is she hot, she is almost always portrayed as the voice of reason and sensibility, the smart one, the true heroine to all the man’s blundering stupidity. So these men may have scored a hot wife, but it always comes at the cost of their blithering lack of intelligence.
So really who is the sexism against here? Is it sexist to say that men despite their physical appearance can still get a very attractive spouse? Or is it more sexist and quite fat-shaming to portray these obese men as having no redeeming qualities, to make a stereotyped trope of the idiotic fat husband? I’d say the latter is farrrrr more sexist and disgusting a trope than simply the hot wife being the smart, reasonable, praised one who happens to be married to a guy that is physically “out of her league”. You can whine about “benevolent sexism”, but really….? Portraying the men as idiotic, slobbish, fat guys is tons more sexist and fat-shaming, overall it is much worse than the role of the women in these shows. End of story.
- Gif three…So the video makers are trying to say that men just don’t experience catcalls, wolf whistles, and being objectified? Try again. This happens quite as much as it happens to women. Guys just vocally express their uncomfortability with it, less. And many guys just simply try to take it as a compliment. But men face these things too, stop trying to make it all “if men were women hurr durr durr then they’d deal with this stuff and be so uncomfy and they’d KNOW what women have to deal with, it’s so hard for women”. But men ALREADY DO face these scenarios. Next!
- Gif four…People saying “it’s hard to find a funny woman”, are sexist assholes, point blank. But this IS NOT the majority opinion, this is an INDIVIDUAL opinion. Stop trying to make this opinion seem as if it is something mainstream, it isn’t. If it was, I Love Lucy, which is quite possibly the most successful television show of the 1950s, and maybe even the 60s, would never have had so much success. The demographic of those who watched the show were equal in sex, the show came on in the primetime hours, it was a family show and families would sit around and watch it together and laugh TOGETHER. People, MEN and women, thought the antics of Lucille Ball and her comedy show were the height of hilarity. So men on the whole DO find women funny, because the aspect of what they find funny on the whole has nothing to do with the sex of the person delivering the humour. Like I said, this opinion of “you’re funny for a girl” does circulate, indeed, but it is on an individual basis, not a societal mainstream basis.
- The last gif…I think we can all concede that seeing a good woman president in office would be very refreshing on terms of gender opportunities having occupied the Oval Office. But just because there hasn’t been a woman president does not mean that women aren’t allowed to be president. The track for the presidency is open to anyone who is qualified for it, there is no statute which bars the presidency from a candidate based on their sex or gender. Women might feel discouraged from pursuing the presidency as this gif is trying to portray, but it is inherently misleading that this gif doesn’t bother to show the milestones and paved paths that soon enough a woman president is a strong possibility.
Times have changed a lot, we see more and more women in political positions, positions which signify power, responsibility, and the leadership and representation of the people. Women like Condoleeza Rice, Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin (even if I and most people don’t like her, she still showed some headway for women in pursuit of those executive political positions), Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Madeleine Albright, Janet Reno, Margaret Thatcher (for leadership potential in general for the world-through, yes I know she isn’t American), Wendy Davis, and so on and so on. So the gif is being intentionally misguiding in painting the future as if women will never become president, when signs are pointing so strongly to the future being bright and more and more welcoming for a woman president.
It’s so sad to see how people have swallowed this down in reblogs with a clear lack of critical thinking. These gifs are a clear-cut case of the video makers painting issues how they want other to perceive them, not how things really are, or that an equal or close equivalent is almost always at hand on the other side.
I can’t tell you how often I think about stuff like this and how no one seems to care or speak up about it.
This is terrifying. A girl from my school sent me this, and I have no words to describe how upset, angry and scared I am. Especially finishing it with a command like that, while she wouldn’t hit a man but has no problem dominating him or joking about it. I’m sick and disgusted.
Um, wow no. This is pure whining on your behalf and it’s pathetic; you come off looking like a hypersensitive asshole here. She sent a picture of a joke and you flew off the handle like this? If you want to call yourself an MRA then fine, but you’re embarrassing your self and the movement.
She sent a picture of a car seat and claimed that because of the position of the seat, she would lawfully be able to break her boyfriends jaw… because he was cheating, because (in her mind at least) that is the only possibility that could of resulted in a car chair being back like that.
It’s just typical women jumping to conclusions and using violence and the opinion that violence against men is funny to justify the conclusion they jump to. Then claims that she HAS to be understood, then goes with the “oh you must be…..” just because he doesn’t find it “hilarious” as she does. then comes the “Stop it” the fact that people shouldn’t be aloud to have opinion differing to that of a womens.
men shouldn’t just be able to get annoyed at unfunny jokes (that’s only for women to do)
men should have to “stop it” when what is being asked to be stopped is silence.
Jeez, invertedgender doesn’t seem pathetic or like a hypersensitive asshole to me, maybe it’s just that you are so psychopathic that normal emotion doesn’t register the same for you, making you think everyone else is overlysensitive, when in reality you are just an asshole without a conscience.
I can’t speak for inverted gender but to me what seems overly horrible about this “joke” isn’t so much the fact that the punchline is violence against men, but the fact that it’s based entirely on assumption and for-filling violent desires on a basis of those assumptions.
Finish reading Teens Must Be Stopped: 10 Facepalm Moments
Grey Delisle. Occupation: Voice Actress, Singer/Songwriter, Tumblr Queen. These characters are only a sample of her talented voice acting career.
oh my god! my whole childhood, its been her?!
grey delisle also known as the cartoon redhead
but oh my god i remember dante basco had her do some voice acting for vriska
Seriously what the actual fuck was Andres grandma on
the office is such a stupid show i love it so much
realising that we’re almost halfway through the year 2013 and i have literally achieved nothing
realising that you’re reading this almost halfway through 2014 and still haven’t achieved anything